My purpose is to maximize life.
To take my lived experiences as a responsibility to serve as insights – especially those that may oppose or be in contrast. It is my hope that insights may encourage individual thinking, and at the same time share new learning and new considerations.
At my core I love to maximize – to do the most I can, at the best quality and with frequency. Of course this is a blessing and a curse – sometimes to my disappointment and sometimes causes others discomfort. In all situations are opportunities to discover more.
I have had the opportunity to live in various parts of the world, to eat and drink at wonderful places have always included furry animals as part of my family. Across life are encounters, some paid, some by chance, that inform our quality of experiencing life.
A ‘facilitator’ has been my primary role throughout my life; a consultant in management, leadership and engagement as well as a professor of business strategy and a practitioner of sustainability and social enterprise. I have had and observed countless experiences that have changed the course of an organization, a team or an individual’s life.
In considering how we maximize our lived experience, I believe we have to reconcile how what makes us human also creates barriers to connection in the way of bias. I hope to bring to light insights that touch on this challenge.
Connect with Me
Maximizealot Insights Newsletter – Substack is where I publish stories and ideas.
@maximizealot Twitter is a place I post, and source similar interesting ideas.
LinkedIn A professional interaction forum for more business related stories.
Symbio Strategies Where I ideate, consult and create impact specific to clients.
Know something that could be maximized? Reach out!
Sources of Insight for Me
- My dogs, horses and our cat who constantly remind me to be present.
- My husband and our many years in building a life together.
- My Millennial business partner with a global mindset and who advocates for the individual.
- Supporting my Dad as he fights NHL (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) from a rural town.
- Losing my mother (2006), an RN & Director, at mercy of surgical error, rural hospital.
- Growing up in a rural community that afforded safety, well-being, agency and environmental stewardship, while also limiting my world view.
- Symbio Strategies, an Experience-focused consulting and research firm I founded.
- International organization leaders with whom I have consulted and coached.
- Sustainability centered students who took my Strategy in Business course at Presidio.
- Research about humans in orgs: nurses sense of purpose & human capital as assets.
- Start-up focus – Intergenerational aspects of working together (then we pivoted.)
- Start-up focus – Well-being in the workplace (then we pivoted, again.)
- Replacing pain meds with human CBD during our German Shepherd’s 10th year. (she turns 14 in Jan ’19)
- Reading. (some of my favorites below)
Insights from Reading Others’ Works
AEON for ideas, bold thinking, deep thinking.
Stratechery for the intersection of strategy in the tech world.
HBR (Harvard Business Review) for business and strategy focused research and ideas (so I know what the business leaders are reading.)
Our World in Data for validation from data about almost anything you can think about.
The World is Flat, T. Friedman a short history of technology, globalization, climate change.
Big Magic, E. Gilbert every idea needs to find a home, what ideas will you give a home?
Behavioral Economics from this well researched source and as a topic across sources.
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, M. Manson for so clearly challenging focus on the right things.
(and many more I will add as I go)